Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC & Utilities

What Are Items That Cannot Be Insured While Moving?


If you are moving your home, you should be aware of some items that are excluded from moving insurance policies. These items include collectables. Collectibles are items of value that have special meaning to collectors. Items such as curio, antiques, and paintings fall into this category. If you have these items, you should inform the moving service providers official website in advance. Another item that is excluded from moving insurance policies is souvenirs. These items often grow in value with time, so it is important to inform the moving service provider.


Coverage-for-purchase is a form of insurance that limits the liability of movers for items that cannot be insured in transit or while moving home. It applies to items with a market value greater than $100 per pound, including jewelry, valuable art and antiques. Most moving companies will offer this type of coverage, but it will carry a higher deductible. Be sure to list high-value items on your inventory sheet to be covered by this policy.

Most types of insurance have standard exclusions, including 'political risks' and 'non-standard conditions'. In most cases, you should not purchase a policy unless you can prove the replacement value of the items you are insuring. Many transit and storage policies exclude coverage for infestations, mold, and mildew. As a result, it is up to you to properly prepare your goods and treat them for normal care. For instance, you should treat clothing and wool rugs with insect repellent. You should also avoid exposing furniture surfaces to extreme temperatures.

Valued Inventory forms

If you have valuable items in your home that cannot be insured during transit or on moving day, you should create a Valued Inventory Form. These forms are used by professional moving companies and account for the condition of the items at their origin and destination. If your valuables are damaged during transit, the moving company will not be liable for their replacement or repair costs.

To prepare the Valued Inventory Form, you should complete an online form or print one to fill in by hand. The printable version of the form requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded free of charge. In addition to providing information about the items, you should fill in the replacement value of the items at their destination.

Full value protection

If you have expensive possessions, you may want to consider Full Value Protection (FVP). This type of insurance will protect your possessions at the maximum level of liability, which is usually 60 cents per pound. You can get this protection for anything from a single knick-knack to a valuable family heirloom.

To get this type of coverage, you'll need to create an inventory of the items you want to insure and list them on the shipping documents. While this form of insurance isn't regulated by state insurance laws, it is administered by the Surface Transportation Board (STB), part of the U.S. Department of Transportation. There are several options for obtaining full value protection, including a separate liability coverage option through your moving company.

Full value protection covers the full value of your possessions in the event that they get damaged or destroyed. It also pays for repair costs. The price of full value protection depends on the deductible you choose and how much coverage you want. You should also be aware that it is more expensive than other types of insurance.

Homeowners insurance

You can get homeowners insurance for things you've moved, but you need to check your policy to see what's covered. Your policy may cover damages that happen inside your home, but may not cover damages that happen duringmoving. In such cases, you'll want to purchase extra moving insurance for those items that are valuable to you.

Generally, homeowners insurance covers personal property only up to the policy limit. Some policies also have lower limits when personal items are transported to and from a new location, such as when you move overseas. Your policy also may have different standard limits for different types of property, such as jewelry or baseball cards. It's always best to check whether the items you've moved are covered by your renters' insurance policy before you cancel your homeowners policy.